Thursday, October 2, 2014

October 2, 2014

Last night I had the privilege in having Mila over!  That is a happiness boost she is the sweetest little girl and if you ask me I think she looks like Kellie :)  I got a call from J at 7:55am but I'll be honest I was dead asleep, but woke up also with a text from Kellie.  She wanted to know how Mila was(I think since this was the first time I have had her Heidi has taken on the newborn parent roll like a champ) and who would be watching the other two girls.  I got a call from my dad at 9:50am to hear Kellie is in surgery.  Another shocking moment you know will come but aren't totally expecting it right this second.  The impela pump didn't make her heart strong enough and as it was slowly turned off she started getting chest pain again.  Poor J was at the hospital alone so my dad didn't have too much information since they weren't there to soak up the information.  I called my friend Heather who works for the heart surgeons there to get more information.  I will tell it the best I can with all the medical terms and how much I got told and had to take in so here is my summary at best:
Our hearts I don't remember the term but us 75% of a certain function where Kellie's is still only at 20%.  Because of this, they had to take the next step which is the LVAD(Left Ventricular Assist Device) this is open heart surgery.  What they do is put the pump in her abdomen which then has a cord that goes to her heart to pump for her(I hope I explained that as right as I could) she will carry around a little purse where ever she goes that is part of the LVAD.  My friend knows both surgeons in with Kellie right now and the main doctor she works for is one of them.  She said Kellie is now under the care of the LVAD team from here on out.  She did explain to me the reason why they didn't go in and fix the tear.  Once you have done surgery on the heart it is even more risky the next time you go in and in Kellie's case she would need a heart transplant even if they did get the tear fixed her heart is too damaged.  So for now she will get this surgery, recover we hope the best that you can from this could be anywhere from 3 weeks to months and will be put on the heart transplant list and wait.  I was reassured people live on the LVAD for years and I know Kellie is a very sensitive sick case that she will get one sooner rather than later.  Keep her in your prayers today and if you haven't this will reassure you how important it is to be a donor in my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Jodie, thank you for posting all this information! I have been praying and anxious for details and it helps me know what to pray for. We are fasting today and I will continue to pray that she can find a donor. I am so, so, so happy to take the girls and Mila at any time. Our kids are the exact same ages and I adore them so much. We'll keep checking for updates. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete