Wednesday, October 1, 2014

September 30, 2014

We started a fast Monday night for any friends/family/ward members that wanted to participate.  I woke up Monday thinking oh man I'm so hungry I hadn't eaten much since Sunday night to now.  But then I got notified that she was in the Cath lab and was getting ready to get a pump put in her heart and the hunger went away.  The reason why they had to do the pump was explained by my mom in a email:

This morning as they reduced the medicine that was helping keep Kellie blood pressure up and the blood pumping through her heart. Her pressure started to drop and she started having pains in her chest and arm.

The surgeons have decided she is too young to have these pains and have decided to do the first medical procedure that was told to us at the beginning.

They have taken her in to the operating room (10:30) to insert through her groin a pump called an impela?. As they do this they will also be able to see other views of her heart and start trying to make a plan of what will come next.

They feel good about her progress so far and feel that this will help us move forward to a hopeful and good recovery.


We all continued our day I went to Heidi's with all the kids that weren't with friends and neighbors who have been extremely helpful and we will forever be grateful for everyone that has helped.  I went to work that night and while I was there Heidi had text me to call her when I was off.  Luckily I moved my colors to be double booked so I could be done early.  Kellie has had the most spectacular nurse taking care of her, her name is Katie and they have a lot in common.  They both married their high school sweethearts, are about the same age, got married two months apart from each other, and both have kids.  She took the time to wash and braid Kellies hair and the biggest blessing was she pulled enough strings to allow us to bring little Mila into see Kellie.  I was able to go with Heidi, my parents and Mila.  Deep down I was terrified, I am a very closed emotional private person and since Sunday have randomly just cried with that dreadful hopeless feeling and I was scared when I saw her it would all come back but I knew since I had the chance I needed to go see her.  When we walked in the room I was shocked my sister looked amazing.  Besides all the tubes and machines surrounding her just looking at her you would never expect her to be as sick as she is.  She was so excited to see Mila we got her out and laid her next to her so she could cuddle her the best that she could.  I took a couple pictures and am kicking myself for not getting one with Kellie and the nurse Katie so hopefully we see her again.
 
After talking with the nurse we learned a little more of what we have been dealing with and why we are calling Kellie a true medical miracle.  Where the tear occurred in her heart is in a place that the medical practice calls "the widow maker" which means no one should or does survive it.  And somehow my fighter of a sister has went against the odds.   She has the fight of her life still yet to come but so far has done a better job anyone could ever ask for.  The fast we did was one of the true miracles that has happened, we didn't know she would be needing to get a pump and it happened when so many people were praying and fasting for her that it went awesome.  I have fasted in the past but I have never fasted so hard if that is even a way to explain it as hard as I did today.  When we were sitting talking to with Kellie she told us that at Lakeview when they were sedating her for the breathing tube they didn't have her all the way under but didn't know that due to everything going on inside of her body but she was paralyzed enough she couldn't tell them that she felt the them put the breathing tube down her throat and that she threw up during it.  And she remembers being wheeled out to the helicopter and rain hitting her face and that the nurse flipped the blanket over her face so she didn't get wet.  While she was getting loaded they smashed her hand but she couldn't tell them due to her being paralyzed from the sedation.  Nurse Katie found out and made sure to tell those flight nurses what happened so it doesn't happen again. :)  She remembers flying to the U but once she got there she couldn't remember anything else and was fully sedated.  I have a client who works in the Cardiology department at the U so I have been able to text her and ask questions and she has been able to fill me in on information.  She has reassured me numerous times that my sister has a very sick heart but has the best doctors around helping her and she would feel the best that she could knowing that if someone in her family was in my sisters spot.  So we are beyond grateful of not only the support we have felt but the many nurses and doctors that are educated enough to help my sister get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment