Wednesday, October 1, 2014

September 28th, 2014-The Beginning

I decided someone needs to document the events that have taken place over the last couple of days for Kellie to look back on when everything is over and she is healthy.  I am her youngest sister Jodie and am definitely no writer so bare with me.
On Wednesday, September 24th Kellie got induced into labor with their third daughter.  At 6:26pm(I think) Mila J Robbins was born at 8 pounds 5 ounces and had cheeks to die for.  I was at work but was able after to go up to the hospital with my dad, mom, and other sister Heidi.  Kellie had just been taken to her post partum room and was getting settled, J had went home with their other 2 girls so we were able to sit for hours and talk to Kellie and see sweet Mila.  Everything went great and they came home Friday mid-morning.  Just like any mother your sleepless nights catch up to you but that is normal after just having a baby.  She text me and Heidi either Friday or Saturday asking if she just didn't remember with her other girls but that her feet were really swollen.  I was of no help since I was swollen almost my whole pregnancy and so my swollen feet after were a given.  Heidi said hers got swollen after so she must have just forgotten.  This could have been a sign things were going to go wrong but we may never get the answers to that.

On Sunday, September 28th everything changed.  My brother Jason had text that they were having ice cream cake for his daughter to celebrate her birthday that was that prior Friday.  We went over at 6pm and my parents had been at Kellies house taking them dinner.  They brought the two oldest girls to the party to give Kellie and J a little quiet time.  I left my brothers at about 7:30pm and I think everyone else left shortly after me.  We got home and bathed Zola and gave her a bottle it was probably 8:30pm by this time.  Shea had her sitting on the couch while I was picking a few things up.  Anyone that is close to me knows once Zola is bathed and winding down I don't answer my phone for anyone :) and once she is asleep I don't answer it because the beginning of the night she is a little bit of a sensitive sleeper and our home is quite small.  As I was walking by the couch I noticed my phone lighting up.  I didn't even think twice about not answering it and it was my sister Heidi I didn't at the time think why is she calling me I was just with her so I answered as fast as I could.  All I remember about the call was "I'm up at Kellie and J's I don't want to stay here alone mom and dad are going up to the hospital" trying to register what I heard I said "what's going on"  she said "she is having a really hard time breathing so they had to take her to the hospital in the ambulance"  I honestly don't know if she said Kellie or if I was blanked out so I said "the baby can't breathe??" and she said "No it's Kellie".  I said okay I'm on my way.  I grabbed my keys and wallet, Shea was still on the couch with Zola and all I could get out was I have to go Kellie had to be rushed to the hospital Heidi is at her house with the kids and ran out.  I was completely terrified driving over there.  That is the most helpless I thought I have ever felt little did I know in the next days to come it only made my helplessness feel worse.  I got to Kellie's to my mom talking to Kellie's nanny with tears in her eyes.  I went to the bathroom where Heidi was bathing the oldest kids and so I started helping.  My parents left to go to the hospital to see what was going on and to also give her a blessing.  Once we got the girls down for bed I could finally ask Heidi what happened.  Kellie's oldest girl Sloane is very smart and picks up on a lot of stuff so we didn't say anything while she was awake.  All she told me when I got there was "my mom is sick so my dad told me I needed to take Evie to my room shut the door and baby sit her so that's what I did".  She never opened the door to check on things my mom said which my mom made a comment the holy ghost had to have been there to make that happen because the last thing they needed was her seeing Kellie being taken out on a stretcher.  After we got settled I asked Heidi what was going on.  She said that my parents dropped the girls off and when they were getting ready to leave Kellie said she needed to go sit down. She sat down and my mom just thought she has just had a baby she is really tired.  My parents left and they were probably 2-3 minutes gone when Kellie called them and when they answered my mom said "what did dad forget?" and Kellie was in tears and all she said was "come back I'm sick".  My mom said that my dad flipped a U turn and she can't remember the last time he drove so fast.  When they got to my sisters house my mom knew with one look at my sister it wasn't good.  J was on the phone and my mom said if that's not 911 call them now.  Kellie was gasping for air and said her elbow and chest hurt.  The ambulance got there and asked what hospital out of Davis, Lakeview, and Mckay-Dee they wanted to go to my mom said not Davis and J said what one?  J decided on Lakeview which after finding things out was a blessing he picked the closest to their house.  She got rushed to Lakeview where since she had just had a baby their first thought was a blood clot.  They ran a couple tests and gave her some medicine, her lungs were filled with fluid and they were able to get them drained.  The CT scan showed them an enlarged heart so they called the U of U and they said we are sending life flight right now.  Since she was so swollen and her insides were such a cluster they had a hard time getting her sedated for a breathing tube.  They got it in and then got her loaded in the helicopter.  Me and Heidi were sitting on the couch getting random updates from my parents my dad text they are life flighting her to the U and within minutes we heard life flight coming from Ogden way and knew it was for her.  My heart sank.  They got her to U of U and got her as stable as they could and the next day we were told by doctors she was dying when she arrived there from Lakeview.  But that Lakeview had given her a medicine that unclotted the blood which somehow made her stay alive. That was the beginning of one of the longest nights of my life.  we got updates sporadically throughout the night but no real answers I felt like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment